About Me

My photo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
My work has developed a lot over the 3 years I've studied for my degree. It has evolved into a body of work that deals with the human form as an environment. I've mapped and explored my own body inside and out in many ways through print, drawing and various media as a type of research to address self identity

Tuesday 29 September 2009

John Coplans

I'm thinking of writing my assignment on John Coplans, mainly focusing on his photography as it relates closely with my own work. We were asked to chose work that was readily available for us to see in person which works weel for me as there are a pair of Coplans photographs currently on display at TATE Liverpool.

"In 1980, John Coplans went back to being an artist, he said that he couldn't possibly catch up fast enough by returning to his original medium, painting... So Coplans, always impatient, reckless and driven, turned ferociously to photography--which, curiously enough, he considered a nearer neighbor to sculpture than to painting. Quickly, he made the medium his own;...When Coplans died in August at 83, his big photographs of Stonehenge-ish portions of his own aging but defiant body rested in the collections of major museums around the world."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_10_91/ai_109667922/

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/media_collection/6/GMA%204306.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! :)

This page is primarily a documentation of my art work I create. I'm a BA Fine Art, Mixed Media Student currently in my final year of my degree.

My work deals with ideas of the fragility of the human condition and often consists of images of my own body. I tend to work with materials that reflect the delicacy of the human form such as stitch and fabrics. My drawing style i like to describe as a "nervous" line, which also ties in with the themes of all my work.