About Me

My photo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
My work has developed a lot over the 3 years I've studied for my degree. It has evolved into a body of work that deals with the human form as an environment. I've mapped and explored my own body inside and out in many ways through print, drawing and various media as a type of research to address self identity

Saturday 6 March 2010

Berlin

So I'm just back from Berlin! what an odd city! totally not what I expected. I dont mean that in a bad sense, Its a wonderful city and culturally very diverse, but I think it was just so different to other cities in Europe alot of suprised me. (ALSO MAY I ADD I'VE NEVER BEEN SO COLD IN ALL MY LIFE, THEREFORE MOST OF THE TIME IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO TAKE THNGS IN AND APPRECIATE THEM) I hadnt researched into Berlin before I visited, I wanted to get there and get a feel for the city without any preconceptions. I knew vaguely about the Berlin wall but almost shamefully didn't actually why the city was divided. My only knowledge of Germany as a country ends after the WW2, (because thats were my A- level history textbooks ended.) So I had never actually took time to read up about the countries history after that, which is quite bizzare now I think about it as I'm a huge history nerd. I guess I was too busy wishing I was Elizabeth I. 
I saw most of the sights as all good tourists should..

The wall





Brandenburg gate

The Reichstag (this is the view from the roof...i didnt actually take a picture of the building...everyone knows what it looks like right?)


etc etc etc!

But obviously I'm here to discuss the art I saw whilst in Berlin. Like I said the city is very culturally diverse. Fuelled by the fact sections were sperated for so long, The 4 different distrcit have their own identity that stands out which I found really interesting. It has obviously created alot of inspiration for artists in Germany as I saw some fantastic stuff.

One piece I really liked in the "Berlinische Galerie" was a piece by two artists: Eugen SchönebeckGeorg Baselitz called "Pandemonic Manifesto II 1962". Unfortunately I have no idea what the piece is about, as I dont read German, I did try and search around for some information on the piece but I could barely find a mention of it. However what I like about the work is the format of combining the text with the drawing, epsecially since the drawing is of a figurative form and is drawn in a way that is scratchy and involves that intense line which I love, &


I also visited the hamburger bahnhof gallery where I had the fortune to see Joseph Beuy's "Felt Suit" Which has given me a few ideas on things I could do with my work, what about making a suit? but maybe its a little out my reach?...Suppose so since I've never made clothes in my life. 

But I love the idea behind the suit being a self portrait, made from Joseph's own clothing. Its obviiously not a traditional portrait but it has so much more personal feeling that a painting or photograph of someone. 

Felt Suit  1970
Filzanzug

Felt

unconfirmed: 1700 x 600 mm
sculpture

Purchased 1998


T07441

"Felt Suit was tailored from one of Beuys’s own suits, and can be seen as an oblique self-portrait. Although it was intended as a work to be hung from the gallery wall, he did wear one of the suits in a performance in the early 1970s. For Beuys, the suit was an extension of his felt sculptures, in which the felt appeared as ‘an element of warmth’. He explained: ‘Not even physical warmth is meant... Actually I meant a completely different kind of warmth, namely spiritual or evolutionary warmth or the beginning of an evolution’." - Tate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! :)

This page is primarily a documentation of my art work I create. I'm a BA Fine Art, Mixed Media Student currently in my final year of my degree.

My work deals with ideas of the fragility of the human condition and often consists of images of my own body. I tend to work with materials that reflect the delicacy of the human form such as stitch and fabrics. My drawing style i like to describe as a "nervous" line, which also ties in with the themes of all my work.