About Me

My photo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
My work has developed a lot over the 3 years I've studied for my degree. It has evolved into a body of work that deals with the human form as an environment. I've mapped and explored my own body inside and out in many ways through print, drawing and various media as a type of research to address self identity

Friday 16 July 2010

First Class.

So I finished my degree, I got a first, I'm ecstatic I've been relaxing and celebrating. Moved back to my mums house...leaving university life behind (well sort of)

I wish I had more to say to express how brilliant getting such a great result is but I dont know how to put it into words without sounding like I'm accepting best supporting actress at the oscars. All I will say is I feel like its the start of something rather than the end. 

Oh yeah I also got onto the fellowship program, which is so brilliant. This involves me being a practicing artist for a year and helping out on the degree course with other students working for their degree shows. I'm really looking forward to it, as its just full artistic freedom, with the support network of tutors and students still around, without all the deadlines and boxes to tick. 


I feel this could be a year to produce some of my best work. I'm unsure where to take my work next, I've been looking at artists work for inspirtation in two different directions really, while still relating heavily to my interest in the body and identity. 


The suit was one of the really successful parts of my degree show and this idea of creating wearable art is something I'd really like to  further explore. I came across a designer called Michael Cepress, Who designs clothing collections as well as moe sculptural, conceptual wearable art pieces.



I also found this piece by Martin Margiela




I'm still heavily interested in installation art, and this is the type of work I started out in and have always wanted to return to. I discovered an artist called Dai Rees, who created a large installation piece called 
"Carapace" which consisted of leather, and other materials and techniques relating to tailoring and upholstery. The result is these large forms which look like animal carcasses chained up in an abattoir. They look gory yet are made from beautiful materials and have notions of the body.


Also, I've always loved this piece by Eva Hesse and have wanted to work in a similar way for years, however heres is made of fibreglass. I'd probably work with manipulated fabrics to create rigid waves within my work, which is something I considered in my sketchbook when trying to decided what to do with the portraits which eventually became my suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! :)

This page is primarily a documentation of my art work I create. I'm a BA Fine Art, Mixed Media Student currently in my final year of my degree.

My work deals with ideas of the fragility of the human condition and often consists of images of my own body. I tend to work with materials that reflect the delicacy of the human form such as stitch and fabrics. My drawing style i like to describe as a "nervous" line, which also ties in with the themes of all my work.