About Me

My photo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
My work has developed a lot over the 3 years I've studied for my degree. It has evolved into a body of work that deals with the human form as an environment. I've mapped and explored my own body inside and out in many ways through print, drawing and various media as a type of research to address self identity

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Fellowship of the pens

So I started my fellowship program yesterday. If I havent already bored you with what that involves its basically a year helping out on the degree course that I graduated from as well as an opportunity to develope my own art practice to prepare for an exhibition with other "fellows" next year.

The day went really well, We checked out where we are going to be working, discussed the year ahead with other students etc and Its got me really excited to begin working.

As I've said I'm hoping to invovle a lot of family history stories/information into my work as I feel its a new aspect of my work which continues to challenge ideas of personal identity. The past year has been quite a hard one for my family for personal reasons and its brought up a lot of conversations about the military and war and the amoutn of pain ut has caused my family over many generations.

  • Last christmas my cousin was killed on patrol in Afghanistan which was obviously a huge emotional strain on my family. 
  • While researching my family tree I found that my great great grandfather, died during WW1. I even visited the battle fields of France a few years ago and found his name on the Thiepval memorial. His death, which was preceeded by the death of his wife, resulted in my great grandfather being put into care in an orphanage at only aged 7. 
  • My fathers eldest brother was also in the military and has lived in many countires around the world, which has somewhat severed his relationships with his family at different point throughout the years.
  • My grandmother, while not in the military, did live through WW2 and told me many stories  of what life was like during the blitz in Liverpool, from sleeping under railway bridges as well as how she escaped from evacuation in Wales and made her way back to Liverpool.
These few key figures within my family story have been strong influences on my  life, and I feel they will come out strongly within my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! :)

This page is primarily a documentation of my art work I create. I'm a BA Fine Art, Mixed Media Student currently in my final year of my degree.

My work deals with ideas of the fragility of the human condition and often consists of images of my own body. I tend to work with materials that reflect the delicacy of the human form such as stitch and fabrics. My drawing style i like to describe as a "nervous" line, which also ties in with the themes of all my work.