About Me

My photo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
My work has developed a lot over the 3 years I've studied for my degree. It has evolved into a body of work that deals with the human form as an environment. I've mapped and explored my own body inside and out in many ways through print, drawing and various media as a type of research to address self identity

Friday 18 September 2009

back to the grind...

Week 1:

Recap of my frist week back:

Tues 15th - I was helping set up the 'Mapping The West' exhibition at the 'Williamson Gallery' in the Wirral. The day was long but the show look amazing. It always suprises me how well such small pieces of work fill up such a large gallery space when on display. I'm not totally satisifed with the piece of work I have in the show but I can't change that now, but it was my first ever artists book so hopefully I will improve.


Fri 18th - This week I've been collecting materials together to start my work. I'm currently writing my two learning plans. One for my core work and one for my Print option.


Some points from my learning plan:

Core work:

  • Instead of working in soley black and white I would like to experiment with coloured inks, threads and fabrics. I need to test ink on different types of fabrics to see which one would work best with the prints. I previously used voile which worked well so I may test samples of that fabric out in a range of colours. To achieve more detail in the stitching I would also like to use machine stitch.
  • I'm going to continue researching artists that explore their own bodies in their work such as John Coplans. However since I aim to bring in the aspect of colour I want to do some research into which colours would suit the mood and feeling of my work.
Print Module:

  • I want to explore the human form just the same as in my core work. I want to produce a series of prints in black and white, with a strong sense of dark and light, with the focus being on interesting shadows
  • I want to use my photographs of my own body and transfer them onto screens to create large prints that will be of mutliple layers. The layering is important to achieve the shadowing I want. I want the prints to be produced in a way so they can be framed and displayed in a professional way. Most of my previous print work has been made into larger installation pieces. I want these to be a series of prints in the style of Helen Chadwick's “ego geometria sum” series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! :)

This page is primarily a documentation of my art work I create. I'm a BA Fine Art, Mixed Media Student currently in my final year of my degree.

My work deals with ideas of the fragility of the human condition and often consists of images of my own body. I tend to work with materials that reflect the delicacy of the human form such as stitch and fabrics. My drawing style i like to describe as a "nervous" line, which also ties in with the themes of all my work.